Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Samara

Me and Michael were on our way to this touristy beach Tamarindo to rent surfboards for an hour like we had done a few days before, but we stopped in a town called Santa Cruz, which is on the way, so I could go to the bathroom. So when I got in the car, we got on a highway that didn't seem familiar to me...but Michael was driving and he honestly didn't care if we got lost or not...even though he was sure it was the right way....
So lo and behold I see a sign for Nicoya 2 km away...Nicoya was where my grandfather was born and raised, and so we were on our way there by pure coincidence (destiny?)!

Michael wanted to go to a beach, so Michael drove us to a beach called Samara, about 36 km from Nicoya...and the road there was amazingly beautiful...green valleys and mountains, palm trees in the middle of those valleys....it made it look like the land of the dinosaurs.

When we got to the beach, it started to rain and become dark, but we didn't stop walking to the shore, because we had taken about 3 hrs to get there...We started walking towards the coast, and I could feel the hot breath of the air make way for my foot....the air was thick and dank, and it was a new type of weather for me, which I found normal because every part of Costa Rica has it's own little weather...


So, I step into this colorful looking shop that reminded me of like an Austin mom and pop souvenir shop, but it was an arts and crafts and souvenir store. We get in and it smells like that Indian incense that they sell at headshops, and I see this badass shark tooth necklace that I buy to remind myself of where I was...Samara was where my dad spent his childhood because my uncle (my grandpa's brother) had property there, and I think his sons still do...

I found out later that I had bought the shark necklace during Shark's Week (who knew!). Another zen moment...WTF.

So we get to the beach, and there is no one there, but us, green palm trees, and this dark sky with sky blue and orange blotches in between...we take pictures and we are excited, because it's the first white sand beach that we have been to in Costa Rica...so my FB profile pic you see is of me there...

These are the actual colors of the beach, I didn't edit this picture!



My phone fell in the tide and got water damage, but it was so fucking worth it! When I get my phone fixed, I hope I can get the pics back...but the memory of that surreal place is enough for me. :)

No comments: